Updating the wiki and other issues

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 14:41:08 PST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 2:23 PM, Jon Grosshart <jgrosshart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2007 4:57 PM, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Dec 11, 2007 1:32 PM, Jon Grosshart <jgrosshart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Greets all. I'm interested in whipping this page into shape.
> > >
> > > http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Releases/ModuleVersions
> > >
> > > It hasn't been updated for 7.3 and if you compare what IS listed there,
> it
> > > doesn't jive with what tarballs can be found at:
> > >
> > > hxxp://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R7.{1,2}
> >
> > Not addressing the possibly deprecated modules, you can find the 7.3 list
> here:
> >
> > http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Releases/7.3
> >
> > I've been trying to keep the 7.4 list up to date, but it's about a
> > month since I went through xorg-announce to update things:
> >
> > http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Releases/7.4
> >
> > --
> > Dan
>
> The 7.3 link is what I've been referring to when I decided to make the jump
> to 7.3 yesterday. That and the download server of course. I was looking thru
> 'picklist' on my webserver and noticed that it now has some minor breakage
> with the release of 7.3...
>
> I don't know how you guys do it Dan. My ultimate goal with picklist was to
> come up with the blfs wget files consistently and accurately but it's just
> not happening at present.

It's a lot of manual effort at the moment, nothing as sophisticated as
your script. That was part of the reason why I've been trying to stay
on top of the wiki for 7.4. Alan has done a nice job on the wiki, but
stuff just slips through. Your best bet is just to stay on top of the
releases when they happen:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg-announce/

That said, I think there's a lot of duplicated effort here. I'd
personally like to see a canonical list of tarballs in git, rather
than on the wiki. Something like this:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/util/modular/tree/xorg.modules

but with the released versions rather than always pointing to git.

--
Dan