savage inproper init

Ralovich Kristóf kristof.ralovich at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 08:49:52 PST 2007

Hi,

I would like to report about hard lockups (ping and ssh stops too)
caused by the savage driver. I am getting the same results no matter
if I use the savage fbdev or not. Neither EXA / XAA changes the
situation. Additionally if I use EXA, it garbles the bitmaps and the X
screen around the cursor. The machine is an IBM T22. I can not find
any further details in the system logs or X log.

The symptom is if boot up, X wont run, it hangs before switching to
the desired resolution. But if I run windows first then reboot and
start linux, everything is going fine. GL and Xv works too.

The other way avoiding the lockup2 was putting the AGPMode "2" line to
the Device section, it was a little bit slower, but it was stable at
least.

Details:

Linux t22 2.6.23.8 #1 PREEMPT Tue Dec 11 14:23:29 CET 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV (rev 13)

ii  xserver-xorg-core               1.3.0.0.dfsg-12lenny1
      X.Org X server -- core server
ii  xserver-xorg-video-savage       2.1.3-1
      X.Org X server -- Savage display driver

Thanks in advance,
Kristof

PS1.: I had the same experience with X 1.1.1 and savage 2.1.2

PS2: For me this case seems to be similar the one with radeon cards a
while ago: someone had to use the proprietary driver first, so it
initializes all the registers, and later you could switch back to
using the r200 driver since the card was initialized correctly.