blank screen on LVDS when VGA connected

Ben E. Hard bve at gmx.de
Mon Dec 10 02:45:59 PST 2007

Hi,

Hallo,

when I have a VGA-Monitor connected to my Sony Vaio Laptop (PCG-R600 HFPD),
the internal LVDS gets deactivated. I tried all the xrandr --output
LVDS --left-of VGA stuff, nothing changes. System: debian lenny,
xserver-xorg-video-intel 2.1.0-2 (now trying with xserver-xorg-video-intel
2.2.0-1 from debian unstable). However, kde thinks, that there is a second
monitor, where it can put my applications, which I cannot see than.

The tool i810switch or i810rotate permits me to reactivate the internal
monitor, giving me a clone of the other. xrandr -q shows me, that I can
disconnect the ouptut VGA with i810rotate, but not the LVDS, which is always
shown as "connected" in xrandr -q.

xrandr -q output:
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2048 x 768, maximum 2048 x 768
VGA connected 1024x768+1024+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x
0mm
   1280x768       60.0
   1024x768       60.0*
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        59.9
LVDS connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x
0mm
   1024x768       60.0*+
   1280x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        59.9

Part of xorg.conf

  Driver "intel"
  Option "monitor-VGA" "externer"
  Option "monitor-LVDS" "interner"
        Option "NoDDC"
        Option "DDCmode" "off"
        Option "IgnoreEDID" "on"
  Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
  Option      "DRI"     "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "interner"
 Option "PreferredMode" "1024x768"
  DisplaySize 270 203
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier "externer"
        Option "RightOf" "interner"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "Default Screen"
  Device "intel"
  Monitor "interner"
  Monitor "externer"
  DefaultDepth 16
  SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 2048 768
    Depth 16
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Virtual 2048 768
  EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
  Identifier "Default Layout"
  Screen "Default Screen"
  InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
  InputDevice "Configured Mouse" "AlwaysCore"
  InputDevice "ALPS" "CorePointer"
  InputDevice "Vaio keys" "SendCoreEvents"
  Option      "AIGLX" "true"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite" "Enable"