Multiple mouse problem

Dave Joubert dave.joubert at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 9 09:52:35 PST 2007

On Dec 9, 2007 4:00 PM, Sascha Hlusiak <saschahlusiak at arcor.de> wrote:

> > When I start using the additional mice, the cursor on the desktop
> reacts,
> > which
> > is unexpected. Ensuring that /org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event does not
> fire,
> > does not solve the problem.
> Is anything added to the Xorg.0.log file as soon when you plug in the
> additional mice? Maybe they are added through hal, meaning Ubuntu shipped
> and
> installed the fdi file for input hotplugging.

No, there is nothing in the log file after the initial startup.
Log file ends:
(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Device: "/dev/psaux"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(==) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 9
(**) Configured Mouse: Sensitivity: 1
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Keyboard" (type:
KEYBOARD)
(II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

Also, as I said, if I comment out  /etc/udev/rules.d/95-hal.rules
# Have udev pass data over a socket to hal
# RUN+="socket:/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"
(and I can see in /var/log/daemon.log that org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event
is not triggered); it makes no difference.
syslog confirms there is no hal event after initial startup.

lsof (filtered for Xorg and (dev|socket|proc|) says:
Xorg      5205       root  mem       CHR                1,1
2805 /dev/mem
Xorg      5205       root    3u     unix 0xffff810071d7d8c0
30756 socket
Xorg      5205       root    4u      CHR                4,7
2575 /dev/tty7
Xorg      5205       root    5u      REG                0,3      256
4026531988 /proc/bus/pci/01/00.0
Xorg      5205       root    6w      REG                0,3        0
4026531914 /proc/mtrr
Xorg      5205       root    7u      CHR               10,1
4324 /dev/psaux

Still stumped.....