More flexible config/hal.c

Sascha Hlusiak saschahlusiak at arcor.de
Fri Dec 7 12:34:52 PST 2007

Hi list,

Looking at config/hal.c, why is it necessary to check if info.capabilities
contains input.mouse or input.keys? Isn't the presence of input.x11_driver
enough to see that this device wants to be hotplugged? When this is present,
it was surely merged in an hal fdi file, meaning this device is hotplugable
enough. But maybe I'd like to hotplug a device that does not export
input.mouse or input.key, like joysticks? The driver will know how to handle
the device. Why fail just because we don't know the device yet?

And I think it's safe enough to just check for "input.xkb.rules" without
knowing if it is actually a keyboard; if it fails it will return NULL, if it
succeeds, let's not care; the input driver will process the option if needed.

I'd also like to wish for a way to pass custom options to drivers, not only a
handful of hardcoded options like the input.xkb namespace. There already was
a patch on the list for this once:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-August/027515.html

Please review attached patch and tell me what you think.

Regards,
Sascha