Intel Graphics: xrandr doesn't work when VGA isn't connected during boot

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at b4net.lt
Fri Dec 7 04:01:14 PST 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 08:58:08AM +0100, Thomas Ilnseher wrote:
> I have a Notebook (Acer Extensa 5220) with Intel GMA X3100.

I've a Lenovo T61 with the same graphics, AFAIU (Intel 965GM).

> Output hotpluging with XRandR doesn't work when there was no monitor
> connected during boot up. (The second monitor is detected in this case,
> and xrandr commandos yield no error, but the external monitor remains
> black).

Usually xrandr works fine for me, but sometimes I get the same thing you
do: the external monitor thinks it is getting a signal, but shows a
black picture.  Restarting X.org helps.

> It does work as expected when the monitor was connected during bootup.

Usually my monitor is connected during bootup, and then I keep
pluggin/unplugging external monitors and suspending/unsuspending it
randomly.  And it usually works fine.

Marius Gedminas
--
Get a life?  Well, once I nearly found one, but the link was broken.