Website maintenance volunteers?

olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net olafBuddenhagen at gmx.net
Wed Dec 5 02:04:15 PST 2007

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 12:24:32PM -0500, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 04:29:32PM -0800, Barton C Massey wrote:

> > > and about git updating a page under ikiwiki, seriously ;-0....
> > > (you might was well just put the website home directory under git)
> >
> > I have no idea what you mean by all this.  I certainly have lots of
> > web pages that are git-controlled outside of any wiki---what's the
> > problem?  Ikiwiki provides some convenience and wiki-style editing
> > on top of this mechanism; this is a good thing, no?  Or are you just
> > referring to the fact that git+ikiwiki seems to hose itself fairly
> > frequently and painfully, which I have to agree with...
>
> I think he was guffawing at the idea of far-offline wiki editing, in
> general, and I'm not sure I disagree with him.  Near-offline, maybe.

If so, it was a stupid comment by a clueless person.

It's not like most pages are updated so frequently as to make it even
remotely likely that two people will work on the very same text passage
simultaneously.

More importantly, offline editing is just part of the story. It's really
more about the user interface. The ability to do cd, ls -R (or tree),
sed, vi `grep foo`, etc. (or Nautilus&Co. if you prefer); and git-log,
git-show-branch, git-diff, git-merge, git-stash...

Editing stuff using a web interface is just endless pain. IMHO being
able to avoid that is such a crucial feature, that I wouldn't even
consider any engine that doesn't allow for that.

-antrik-