[kdrive] Multiple offscreen areas in KdScreenInfo

Manuel Teira manuel.teira at telefonica.net
Wed Dec 5 02:40:22 PST 2007

Hello.
I'm developing a kdrive driver for the ATI imageon 100 embedded card.
Since this card has a particular memory layout, with two available
areas, mapped in different locations and that cannot be combined in a
single zone, I've made some changes to the kdrive offscreen
infrastructure.

The main change is replacing the current memory_size and off_screen_base
in the  KdScreenInfo structure with a new KdVideoMemArea
**videomem_areas, changing accordingly all the usage in the kdrive core.

Furthermore, any KdVideoMemArea can be assigned a different priority.
This is needed since one of the memory areas in the Imageon has better
access times, and is preferred to place overlays, for example. Hence, we
need to provide a way to model that from userland. The new
KdOffscreenAllocPrio call is used to fill that gap.

As an example, I've also adapted the fbdev driver as a proof of concept.
Of course, changes in all the drivers will be needed, but I expect not
to be very hard to adapt them.

I would like to expose here the patch, as a call for comments, and to
see if it could eventually be merged in the upstream kdrive. If this
ever happens, I should also contribute with my imageon driver to the
xorg project.

Best regards.