[RESEND] xorg.conf - GD5480

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Mon Dec 3 19:40:49 PST 2007

My apologies....

This is the 3rd time I am reposting because I did not get any response
to this post.  I discovered that my SPAM program was blocking all responses
and I have now unblocked it.  Please resend any replies or at least tell me
where I can see the responses elsewhere (a website please?)

Thanks-

============== REPOST ===============
Hello,

This is my first email message to this group, so please bear with me or
direct me to where I need to go to report this "bug".

My Hardware:
==========
PC:	VA Linux System, 600Mhz PIII
RAM:	396MB
Video:	Cirrus GD5480
OS:	Fedora releases 6/7/8.

GDM was able to locate the cirrus chipset and xorg.conf shows:

====================================
 Section "Device"
         Identifier      "Screen0"
         Driver          "cirrus"
 EndSection

 Section "Screen0"
         Device          "Videocard0"
         DefaultDepth    24
 EndSection
====================================

The problem here, is that the DefaultDepth is too high for cirrus chipsets
that cannot support color depths higher than it is capable of, so GDM will
fail to find a working screen resolution it can support.

The following shows what had to be done to get the GDM working and
I have found that even with the DefaultDepth set to 16, it is not sufficient
to ignore the Modes as it must specify supported screen resolutions to
ensure a successful GDM startup.

 Section "Screen0"
         Device          "Videocard0"
         DefaultDepth    16