Request to reconfigure the list with [xorg] in subject line

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Dec 3 14:35:02 PST 2007

On 2007-12-03 21:35-0000 Alan Cox wrote:

>> That works for automatic filtering, but is not nearly as convenient for
>> filtering by humans as a simple descriptor in the subject line.  I assume
>> that is why most lists have such a subject-line descriptor enabled.  So I
>> renew my request that this list conform to that convention.
>
> Some of us humans also prefer not to have [thingsialreadyknow] taking up
> chunks of subject line hiding the real subject.
>
> You can use procmail to achieve what you want without messing it up for
> the rest of us

Thanks for that good idea.  At first I thought you were referring to
automatic filtering of this list into a separate e-mail folder (which I
don't want), but now I realize you were suggesting a procmail rule just for
subject-line tweaking.  That works for me.

So that is the end of this thread except for one off-topic remark.

Alan, you have been my hero for a decade now due to your kernel work so I
wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for that work.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

(lbproject.sf.net).