Request to reconfigure the list with [xorg] in subject line

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Dec 3 13:06:00 PST 2007

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 12:59:50PM -0800, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> On 2007-12-03 21:30+0100 Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> > On Monday 03 of December 2007, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> >> The reason why I ask for [xorg] (or any other appropriate short unique
> >> descriptor) in the subject line is it makes it much easier to sort out this
> >> list traffic from other lists I am subscribed to. This is a pretty standard
> >> convention that most lists use, and I would very much appreciate it if this
> >> list was configured to follow that convention as well.
> >
> > There is constant header:

> > Filter by that.
>
> That works for automatic filtering, but is not nearly as convenient for
> filtering by humans as a simple descriptor in the subject line.  I assume
> that is why most lists have such a subject-line descriptor enabled.  So I
> renew my request that this list conform to that convention.

I doubt you'll win, though I can see both sides.

procmail can be convinced to do what you want.

Most lists have such tags because they're for civilians, who can't be
assumed to have reasonable MUA processing available to them.  So in a
perverse sort of way, it's a compliment.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Witty slogan redacted until AMPTP stop screwing WGA