G35/33 X3500/3100 HDMI

sim0n sim0n at trypill.org
Sun Dec 2 13:04:17 PST 2007

The two models I'd be interested in are these:
P5E-VM HDMI
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=584&l4=0&model=1912&modelmenu=1

GA-G33M-S2H
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=2600&ProductName=GA-G33M-S2H

 > Here's my perspective as a user/bug reporter for the g33/ich9 chipset
from
 > Intel.  My experience has been for the ASUS P5K-V Motherboard.
 >
 > The embedded video chip for g33 is still pretty near the cutting edge so
 > expect some fairly long X outages like I experienced recently until a fix
 > was found (see

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-November/030623.html). BTW,

I have xorg7.3, and am running a 2.6.23 kernel.
I have no problem with building the driver for the GMA 3100 from a git
repository, as long as it works :-).

So does a recent version of the driver work for you, including video
playback, or is it still pretty much broken ?

...I would hate to go once a again with an nvidia based solution.

 > I think the g33 actually has a GMA 3100 not GMA X3100, see
 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA .

Yes, you're right.
Was wrongly listed in the shop...

 >> and does HDMI work ?
 >
 > The ASUS P5K-V only has VGA output by default (which is what I
bought). You
 > can buy a cheap ADD-on Intel card to give you digital output, and I
believe
 > Intel has promised full xorg support for such solutions, but I am not
sure
 > how mature that support is at this time.

The Gigabyte model I mentioned above has a VGA and an HDMI port, which
can be converted to DVI with an adapter.
And apparently HDMI should work.
So that's no problem.

Thank you very much for your detailed information.
I guess unless you say that the GMA 3100 basically works now I will have
to go with a different solution :-(.

--
regards,

sim0n