Xorg Input Hotplugging

Sergio Monteiro Basto sergio at sergiomb.no-ip.org
Sat Dec 1 19:45:38 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 00:24 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> there are three ways to configure it:
> a. with old kbd driver & legacy model: stuff like arrows will work,
> but multimedia keys will return garbage
> b. with evdev protocol and legacy model: arrows will break but
> multimedia keys will work
> c. with evdev protocol and evdev model: everything just works

OK!, thanks, finally I put the "configuration c", working on my laptop.

How I put evdev work ? what configurations in xorg.conf ?
A simple example could be nice, so here it is:

I HAVE TO:
ADD on Keyboard InputDevice
   Option      "Device" "/dev/input/event1"

comment (with #) Option      "XkbModel" "presario"

keep Option      "XkbLayout" "pt"

and change Option Driver from "kdb" to "evdev"

Only this way I get my keyboard working properly.

Note: man evdev says about option Device: "Please note that use of this
option is strongly discouraged" but without than Xorg don't load the
layout pt.

For Mouse InputDevice
just change Option Driver from "mouse" to "evdev", improves the
detection of mouse hardware, in my case I got a new "Macintosh mouse
button emulation" and a new "Video Bus"

I still use:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Synaptics"
    Driver      "synaptics"

> Most of the people complaining of evdev tried b. because evdev is
> underdocumented, it's a natural mistake to make and it's f* stupid to
> have made it a valid config in the first place.

Agree, evdev , shouldn't try use old xkbmodels

> Note that in non-hal config latest xorg resets various things to
> legacy
> defaults, which means various things will break for people who
> configured evdev before, which will be blamed on evdev instead of on
> not
> biting the bullet and making evdev the default, which would have made
> sure the known-broken mixed configs never occured.

Thanks all,
--
Sérgio M. B.