RandR module version, cant get V1.2

Ford Prefect geopal at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 1 05:26:31 PST 2007

Hello all,
I am using a Toshiba notebook with the Intel chip set 945GM. Having the painfull problem of not being able to on-thy-fly plug in external displays (i.e. projectors) I tried to investigate and came up with the conclusion that I would have to use the RandR extension in it's current version 1.2 to overcome all this limitations with a static setup.

I am running openSuSE V10.3 on the machine which comes with an Xorg V7.2. So the first thing I did was an upgrade to Xorg V7.3. Also created a proper xorg.conf according to the various howtos that are around. The xorg.conf also was changed to use the 'intel' driver instead of the 'i810'.

And now comes the question, randr is stiff-necked in reporting an older version:

xrandr -v --verbose

Server reports RandR version 1.1
 SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
*0   1280 x 1024   ( 376mm x 301mm )  *60
 1   1280 x 800    ( 376mm x 301mm )   60
 2   1024 x 768    ( 376mm x 301mm )   60
 3    800 x 600    ( 376mm x 301mm )   60
 4    640 x 480    ( 376mm x 301mm )   60
Current rotation - normal
Current reflection - none
Rotations possible - normal
Reflections possible - none
Setting size to 0, rotation to normal
Setting reflection on neither axis

Here is the Xserver output:

Xorg -version

X.Org X Server 1.4.0
Release Date: 5 September 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
Current Operating System: Linux cpreqjpa 2.6.22.12-0.1-default #1 SMP 2007/11/06 23:05:18 UTC i686
Build Date: 19 October 2007  02:15:54AM

        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
Module Loader present

... and I can find this in my log file (extract):

(II) intel(0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled message.
(--) RandR disabled
(II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
(II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
(II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
(II) Initializing built-in extension XC-APPGROUP
(II) Initializing built-in extension XAccessControlExtension
(II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
(II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
(II) Initializing built-in extension XFree86-Bigfont
(II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
(II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
(II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
(II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
(II) Initializing built-in extension XEVIE

With my current version I can't achieve what I was hoping to do. One example is to plug in a projector and being able to run it with a proper resolution without having to plug it in at boot time or having to restart the Xserver. Can someone point me into the correct direction please? What am I doing (or assuming) wrong? Any hint is highly appreciated!

Thank you!