Feature request: "visible part's resolution as `actual screen size' "

Zbigniew Baniewski zb at ispid.com.pl
Thu Aug 30 04:11:09 PDT 2007

Hallo, I've got a proposal for a useful feature, it could be another option
in xorg.conf:

All of you, who are using desktops of "virtual size" (screen of much larger
resolution than graphic adaptor is set to - so only part of such virtual
desktop is currently visible on monitor's screen) surely know, how annoying
could be the fact, that all(?) procedures used for actual screen size
detection are reporting the "virtual resolution" - instead of the real one,
I mean: instead of resolution of the graphic adaptor's screen - that visible
part - which is just a part of the virtual screen.

As a typical consequence there are f.e. steady problems with java-driven
webpages, which are resizing the www-browser's window to whole virtual
resolution - and each time it must be "manually" resized to fit the visible
part of the desktop, because it covers all of the desktop's contents. But
the main point in using virtual screens is to have all the needed things
available - not one on top of another.

So, I would to suggest a feature, which probably could be another option in
xorg.conf, and which can modify the X-server's response to the functions like
getScreenSize() or similar:

ReportVirtualResolution	false - X-server answer gives real resolution
			true  -              virtual res. (like it's today)

What do you think?
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski