[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-ati 6.7.192

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 06:46:08 PDT 2007

On 8/27/07, Otto Solares <solca at guug.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 06:59:41PM -0400, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > Another RC release.  Contains a few fixes and updates since the last one:
>
> Hi!
>
> Just to report success with a laptop (card Mobility FireGL 9000),
> I'm running latest from git and Debian Sid (xserver 1.3.0).
>
> Everything works including xrandr switching outputs, etc. just a
> a problem:
>
> pressing Fn+F8 several times doesn't switch between outputs but
> freeze the box.  There used to be an option 'BIOSHotKeys' that
> did the right thing, what happend to that?

You don't want to do that.  In fact we should probably disable hotkey
switching if we can.  Depending on your acpi set up, two things
potentially can happen with you hit fn-f8:
1. bios re-programs the card directly, behind the driver's back (this
can cause problems depending on the state of the card and is probably
causing your lockup)
2. the key generates an acpi-event

If possible, what you want to do is set up #2, and then write a
handler script to run xrandr commands to toggle the ouptuts as you see
fit.  This probably requires configuration of the acpi driver for your
laptop.  The fact that the bios hotkeys worked at all previously is
mostly luck as you have two things configuring the card without each
other's knowledge.

Alex