Intel: Brief blanking of external screen when querying xrandr 1.2

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Aug 25 08:28:24 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 10:35 +0200, Andreas Schildbach wrote:

> With version 2.1.1-0ubuntu2 of the Intel driver, I get an about 2
> seconds blanking of my external screen when I issue just "xrandr".

Yeah, it's checking to see if you have anything connected to the TV
output. To do that, it needs to temporarily unplug the VGA.

You can avoid this by ignoring the TV output

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "TV"
        Option          "Ignore" "True"
EndSection

Section "Device"
       Option      "monitor-TV" "TV"
EndSection

If your machine cannot ever have a TV adapter (even with a docking
station), we can add a quirk to the driver to never look at the TV
output. That requires the pci subsystem values (from lspci -n -v) to
plug into the quirk table.

keith.packard at intel.com