Get list of displays

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Fri Aug 24 23:31:00 PDT 2007

Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 07:04:04AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> The simple answer is you can't get a list of existing displays.  The
>> correct way to fix this would be to have the X server claim a name
>> corresponding to the display on dbus.
>
> But again, that only works for local displays.  The answer to 'which
> displays can I use?' is completely unbounded.

Agree. The only way is to try all possible display names that come to
your mind.

Using the .Xauthority contents as a hint may be a solution (as the
application will need some authorization to connect to the display one
you know it exists).

I don't want to suggest xhost here, but in some environment you will
have to consider that displays don't require authorizations.
--
Matthieu Herrb