Mouse moves one pixel, screen re-enabled

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Aug 24 19:50:00 PDT 2007

On Friday 24 August 2007, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
>In the 8th of June a guy sent an email like this:

That guy would be me. :)

>--------------
>Hi all;
>
>I may have found my screen blanker problem, my mouse, when laying there,
> moves about 1 pixel in a random direction every 30-45 seconds.
>
>Its an rf mouse, logitek, talks through a usb dongle.  Frequency unk though.
>
>Is there some way to reduce the sensitivity of the "mouse has moved" logic
> so that these little one pixel motions don't disable the screen blanker
> completely?
>--------------------
>
>People told him it was not possible.
>
>Well, I have a similar problem. Since it is impossible to tell X to
>ignore erratic movements, is there at least a way to tell it to ignore
>*all* mouse movements? There should be an option in Xorg.conf that made
>Xorg calculate the idle time based solely on keyboard activity and mouse
>button clicks, but not on mouse pointer movement. Ideally this would be
>controllable with xset so I could write a script that enables it right
>before locking the screen.
>
>This is not only useful to people with wild mouses (like me and the
>initial mailer). It is also useful for those situations in with someone
>accidentally kicks the desk and the computer wakes up. It also seems
>trivial to implement in Xorg (but please, don't ask me to send the
>patch... The overhead of learning the internals of Xorg would probably
>be enormous).
>
>Is there a way?

Not that I know of, but I did find that problem.  The batteries in the mouse
were the OEM batteries and ancient junk.  Fresh ones stopped the motion, and
its still stopped.  No more blanker problems.

You may need a heavier desk though, or some behavior training applied to the
seat of the desk kicker. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)