clients die on xrandr 1.2 switch

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Fri Aug 24 16:16:04 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 10:18:33AM -0400, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I'm now running on Ubuntu Feisty with
>
> X Window System Version 1.3.0
> X.Org Video Driver: 1.2
>
> on a 915GM laptop.
>
> xrandr 1.2 switches "work", the Gnome desktop switches between the
> 1024x768 LVDS and a 1920x1200 VGA and resizes.
>
> In the VGA->LVDS switch all the clients survive.
>
> In the LDVS->VGA switch the gnome-terminals always segfault. It's hit
> and miss on other clients. xterms survive.
>
> Am I missing some library updates that need to be xrandr savvy?

Hi Ken,

You'll want to make sure you are using the -intel 2.0 or later driver.
Feisty by default has an older version with incomplete xrandr support.

You might also want to try out the Gutsy LiveCD, which has much better
xrandr 1.2 support.  http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Hope this helps,
Bryce