Xlib: Fixes for util/makekeys

Ross Burton ross at burtonini.com
Fri Aug 24 07:12:19 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 15:01 +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 11:44:13PM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> > Next time makekeys needs changing, I'd suggest rewriting it in Perl
> > or Python right from the start.
>
> Please don't use either. There are currently two cases where Perl is
> required by modular Xorg and I have submitted patches to replace the
> first program with a small C program and the second with an awk script.
> I'm quite happy that xorg has a relatively small dependency chain and
> Perl or Python would be a strong regression.

Speaking as someone who works for a company whose primary product is
cross-compiled, replacing tools like makekeys with Perl or Python
scripts makes life a lot easier.  Generally we have to build packages
like this twice (once natively to build the tools, then again for the
target architecture), but you really don't want to see the hack in
libx11 to cross-build it in one step...

Ross
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross at burtonini.com
                                          jabber: ross at burtonini.com