pci-rework merge tomorrow

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Thu Aug 23 22:59:33 PDT 2007

David Nusinow wrote:

> I've patched the server in debian experimental to create a missing device
> section on the fly when there's a xorg.conf without one. The way it chooses
> the driver is to have the driver register the pci id's that it can use. It
> does this by dropping a simple text file list of pci id's in to
> /usr/share/xserver-xorg/pci, and the server picks the driver from these.
> I'm in the process of patching the drivers in debian to ship these files,
> which usually is a pretty simple task. You can see the patch to do this for
> intel here[0].

It would be nice to see an approach that allows programmatic extraction
of such data from Xorg modules themselves (even in the precompiled
form), similarly to what is already available in Linux kernel modules. A
hack that is currently used in the LFS LiveCD can be viewed here:

http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/livecd/browser/trunk/packages/xorg-udev-rules/

but note that this is broken with drivers for xserver-1.3.0.0.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov