color calibration and xvideo (xv)

Graeme Gill graeme2 at argyllcms.com
Wed Aug 22 17:34:48 PDT 2007

Hal V. Engel wrote:
> In the long run video play back should not bypass the display calibration and
> it should also be using the correct display profile so that it is correctly
> transforming it's images into the displays color space.  But again these are
> two separate issues and for now I suspect that most users with calibrated
> displays would be happy if the displays calibration settings were respected.

Agreed. There is an additional complication here though I think,
and that is that the video display hardware is in fact
attempting to do a colorspace transform as well as implementing
calibration (ie. equivalent to an ICC device link + device calibration),
since it has to cope with input color values that are in various
standard video colorspaces.

Graeme Gill.