Intel framebuffer compression & tiling update

Lukas Hejtmanek xhejtman at ics.muni.cz
Wed Aug 22 15:33:27 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 12:15:25PM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> We've made some recent changes in the Intel git tree, enabling both
> tiled rendering for the front buffer by default, and framebuffer
> compression by default where available (currently, framebuffer
> compression is only available on mobile devices, e.g. 915GM, 965GM).
>
> Tiled frontbuffer rendering should bring us some modest performance
> increases for certain operations (render acceleration specifically)
> though I haven't done any measurements on it.

Well, I have been using this feature for last few days. It works nicely.
However, I noticed that sometimes (but quite rarely), screen gets corrupted
for very short time period (but long enough that one can notice it) - it
flashes whole screen (it looks like for one or few more frames of the 60
frames per seconds, the screen is black), another symptom - few randomly
corrupted pixels flashes (and no, I do not have problems with my eyes :-)
I guess that it is FBC related as I did not see this before.

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek