Wide Screen + External Monitor Possible?

Liu, Xinyun xinyunliu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 20:56:01 PDT 2007

Do you mean that you want to get a large screen that like extended
mode in Windows XP?

To get that, you can add options "Virtual" to your xorg.conf to
specify the largest screen you want to get, eg.

        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
                Virtual         2900 1280
        EndSubSection

Then you should specify the layout, I use xrandr to get that:
              xrandr --output VGA --left-of DVI

you can try more test with xrandr --help

Regards,
Liu Xinyun

On 8/20/07, Richard Lynch <ceo at l-i-e.com> wrote:
> I've been Googling and futzing with xorg.conf for several months now,
> to no avail...
>
> Can anybody confirm/deny that it is possible to convince the i810/i915
> driver to have a laptop wide-screen LCD and an external 19-inch with
> "dual head" configuration, i.e., more screen real estate?
>
> So far, the closest I can come is a very streak-y (vertical) clone of
> the LCD onto the external.
>
> And it's not even a usable clone, as it's impossible to read anything
> when every 5th pixel column is missing.
>
> Well, that's what it looks like, anyway.  I dunno if it's technically
> a column of actual pixels.  And don't quote me on the every FIFTH
> pixel, okay?...  Could be 7th.
>
> Under Windoze:
> LCD: 1366x768
> VGA: 1280x1024
>
> Can anybody even just tell me if I'm supposed to be dinking with
> Xinerama, TwinView, or something entirely different?
>
> I read something somewhere that Xorg could only do dual head if the
> vertical or horizontal pixel count "matched" between the 2 monitors.
> Is that really true, or just a myth?
>
> The sheer volume of conflicting information out there, some of which
> MUST be mis-information, is just overwhelming. :-v
>
> Conf file:
> http://phpbootcamp.com/articles/xorg.conf
>
> Log:
> http://phpbootcamp.com/articles/Xorg.0.log
>
> Big Picture:
> http://phpbootcamp.com/articles/vgn_txn17p.htm
>
> --
> Some people have a "gift" link here.
> Know what I want?
> I want you to buy a CD from some indie artist.
> http://cdbaby.com/browse/from/lynch
> Yeah, I get a buck. So?

Best Regards,
Liu, Xinyun