xorg-server portability + de-perl changes

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Thu Aug 16 11:16:57 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 10:15:47AM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
>> patch-ag and modeline2.awk replace the Perl script in hw/xfree86/common
>> with a simpler AWK script. This removes the last major dependency on
>> Perl in modular Xorg. The script should work fine with any nawk, tested
>> are one-true-awk and gawk.
>
> Why is removing perl usage a useful thing to do?   (Seriously - is there
> some system out there for which perl is the only obstacle to building
> modular?  Does removing perl make builds go faster?)

The reason to do this was reduce the amount of magic needed to
cross-compile modular Xorg inside pkgsrc. Perl is the only dependency
of modular Xorg that can't be cross-compiled itself (without lots of
hacks I haven't done yet). Removing the dependency means I don't have to
special case, which is a nice thing. You can build some serious software
without having any Perl installed at all, so I think it is a good idea.

Joerg