can not launch any window manager after system crash

B Thomas thomas.1037 at osu.edu
Mon Aug 13 20:02:56 PDT 2007

Hi,

I am starting X using /usr/bin/startx. No matter what I put in
.xinitrc all I get is a grey background with a working cursor.
I have tried putting kde, gnome-session, fvwm with xterm etc
in the ~/.xinitrc. I have reinstalled the enitre x-window-system
(debian packages x-window-system* x11proto-*). None of this
has helped. As mentioned the problem started immediately after
a system crash, on rebooting. I didn't post to debian (but will)
as the system was working fine till that crash. I don't see
why this problem should persist despite changing hardware and
reinstalling X or why it does not occur with a live CD. How
could a system crash change anything about the configuration.
I have made no customizations to the configuration.

sincerely
thomas