Problem while starting Xfbdev

Prashant J Zaveri pjz1607 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 21:31:26 PDT 2007

We want to run Xfbdev on a ARM-Linux based embedded system. Our environment is:

Board: ARM9 core, Freescale i.MX21 processor based board
Kernel: 2.6.22 vanilla with a few board specific patches
LCD: 240x320, 3.5" from Toppoly TD035STEB1
LCD Interface: 16-bit color

Linux is running fine with framebuffer and is using LCD as console.

I have cross-compiled Xfbdev and its dependencies successfully. Following
command was then executed to start Xfbdev:

       Xfbdev -screen 240x320x16 -dpi 113 -rgba rgb

Xfbdev seems to start and prints the following:

       Warning: mode not found, using default

At this point the LCD starts flickering and we see horizontal lines running from
bottom to up on the LCD.

i get following result when using fbset

mode "240x320-131"
          # D: 16.000 MHz, H: 42.440 KHz, V:130.989 Hz.
          geometry 240 320 240 320 16
          timings 62500 18 57 0 3 62 1
          accel false
          rgba 4/8, 4/4, 4/0, 0/0

What is the problem here? Are there any important arguments that I
am missing?

Is there any debug mode for Xfbdev where in it prints or logs more
messages while
starting?

Prashant