i810 + usb monitor, is it possible?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 09:20:44 PDT 2007

On 8/11/07, VMiklos <vmiklos at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have a Clevo M450C notebook, running Linux 2.6.22, i use its video
> card with the i810 driver. i use the external monitor in clone mode,
> and it works fine. i use it with an external monitor which has two vga
> inputs, so that i can easily switch between the desktop and the
> notebook on the monitor.
>
> (if this makes any sense, my current xorg.conf is at
> http://wiki.frugalware.org/Clevo_M450C#Video_controller)
>
> yesterday i got a new monitor which has 1 vga and 1 usb inputs. the
> vga input i used by the desktop machine. so what i would like to do is
> to use the usb input of the monitor for my notebook.
>
> here is what i get in dmesg:
>
> usb 3-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 13
> usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> hub 3-1:1.0: USB hub found
> hub 3-1:1.0: 5 ports detected
> hub 3-1:1.0: over-current change on port 1
> usb 3-1.5: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 14
> usb 3-1.5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> hiddev96: USB HID v1.00 Device [LGE USB Monitor] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-1.5
> hub 3-1:1.0: over-current change on port 1
>
> udev creates a new device node under /dev:
> crw-rw---- 1 root camera 180, 96 aug 11 16.50 /dev/usb/hiddev0
>
> lsusb output:
> Bus 003 Device 014: ID 043e:0103 LG Electronics USA, Inc.
>
> but here i'm in stuck. i have no idea what to put in xorg.conf. i
> don't think the i810 driver knows anything about an usb monitor and
> i'm not sure at all that using this usb monitor with my machine is
> possible at all. maybe this usb input can be used by video cards which
> have usb output and it's not possible to use it with other machines?

if the usb port on the monitor actually a video input or some kind of
control interface?  if it's a control interface, you're out of luck.
if it's a video input, you'll have to find a driver for the USB video
device that the monitor is providing.  Either way it has nothing to do
with the intel driver.

Alex