Documentation wiki

Michael T raselmsh at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 10 11:14:59 PDT 2007

Hello Jeremy,

The documentation I needed has ranged from how to handle the clipboard from
applications (yes, most of the stuff is documented in the ICCCM and Xt docs,
but they leave a number of gaps, like how modern applications treat the
clipboard and the type conversions which take place in XLib between the
server and a 64bit client) to how to add randr 1.2 support to a driver, with
many other things on the way.

I was talking about the documentation under www.x.org/wiki, which is still
rather minimal, even though particularly Keith Packard has written lots of
relevent stuff over the years.  Might some of that not be able to go in
there?  The XFree86 docs on how to write a driver for the X server would
also be nice to have in a wiki, so that anyone interested could update them
a little at a time, providing of course the original authors agreed.

What else?  There are so many bits of useful documentation, ranging from the
ICCCM to the XLib programmers manual to the Xt documentation to hundreds of
short docs on X11 extensions, all scattered about the place.  I find it a
big problem that there is no central repository for all that stuff.  Of
course, it is probably not reasonable to put the ICCCM into a wiki to be
updated by anyone interested...

And yes, while I don't have time to write large pieces of documentation, I
could quite see myself updating things in a wiki if I see that they are out
of date or incomplete, and if I have better information at hand.

Regards,

Michael