[patch] Allow definition of multiple drivers for HAL-based hotplugging to provide fallbacks

Nicolas Trangez eikke at eikke.com
Wed Aug 8 05:29:42 PDT 2007

Hija,

As discussed on #xorg-devel it would be useful to be able to provide
multiple driver definitions in the FDI file when doing HAL-based input
hotplugging. A sample scenario: if we'd define the "synaptic" driver for
touchpads, and the user hasn't got this driver installed, his device
would not work.

Attached patch replaces the input.x11_driver string value by
input.x11_drivers, an strlist. The list is iterated by the hotplug code,
and the first "working" driver is used. On Linux this is evdev -> mouse
or evdev -> keyboard for now, on other systems just mouse and keyboard.

There's one minor issue: on Linux, when you got a keyboard but the evdev
driver isn't installed, input.xkb.model will be "evdev", even when the
fallback keyboard driver is used. I couldn't figure out a good way how
to get around this yet, ideas more than welcome.

I tested a patched server by adding "foo" drivers to the list in my
local FDI file, they were skipped like they should and evdev was used.

Thanks,

Nicolas