How to make the LCD show 24 bits colors

R.L. Horn lists at eastcheap.org
Tue Aug 7 13:38:53 PDT 2007

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Luis Pablo Gasparotto wrote:

>> Have you tried using the card with another monitor?
>> Perhaps, your graphics card is plain broken.
>>
> Yes, I tried with a CRT monitor (Philips 105E) and colors were OK. Thank for
> your reply.

You may have a dodgy monitor, though you should compare it to another LCD
before making up your mind.  Most LCD monitors, in my experience, come
pretty close to "proper" gamma (2.2), brightness, and black level settings
out of the box.  This compares roughly to a CRT with the contrast
(brightness) turned all the way up and the brightness (black level) at a
middling-to-high level.  It can take some getting used to.

Also, it's vital to get the timing just right.  X provides an easy way to
calibrate this: Simply run the server directly (i.e., just execute Xorg)
to bring up the monochrome "grey" screen (at the monitor's native
resolution, of course) and fiddle with the frequency fine tuning control
until any scintillation goes away (you should be able to get it
rock-steady).

I wouldn't normally expect the software to be at fault unless, perhaps,
you're connecting the LCD via DVI/HDMI and the CRT via analog VGA.