radeon tv-out

Dirk Thierbach dthierbach at gmx.de
Tue Aug 7 06:09:13 PDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 12:41:24PM +0100, Torgeir Veimo wrote:
> A simple implementation can allow a tag being added to each frame as
> either top, bottom or dontcare (non-interlaced). The driver would take
> care of the rest.

What exactly would it do? Delay frames? Duplicate them? What happens
if the frequency at which frames are delivered is different from the
frequency they are displayed (50/60 Hz mismatch)? If you don't
care for even/odd frames, that is much easier (just duplicate or
drop a frame until the alignment fits). With parity distinction,
I don't see an obvious way to do it.

If you're asking for "simple" implementation, I think using a sync
counter would be better -- less work for the server, more flexibility
for the client, less chances that things don't mix well.

And, BTW, what role plays vertical scaling? If the frames are scaled
vertically, even/odd distinction makes a lot less sense, because
the frame will be interpolated, anyway.

- Dirk