New Pixman Naming Scheme

Mon Aug 6 23:38:44 PDT 2007

vehemens wrote:
> Is the "new" pixman naming scheme really the direction xorg plans to take for
> future library releases?$
>
> And yes, I read the <http://www106.pair.com/rhp/parallel.html> and can
> envision systems with dozens of different versions.

It's not anything we've discussed, and wouldn't work for most X
libraries.   If firefox linked with pixman-2, but also linked with
gtk-2 that used cairo that uses pixman-1, you'ld end up with two
incompatible versions of pixman in firefox, and unless every function
name also contained the version number, things would get very messy
(and probably completely broken).

To break ABI in the X client libraries, a fully new ABI, like XCB vs.
libX11 is the safest way, but a lot of work.

     -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com