EXA revisited

sshachar at t2.technion.ac.il sshachar at t2.technion.ac.il
Mon Aug 6 09:24:55 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Earlier I've posted several questions on EXA for which I am implementing a
driver in a QEMU simulator. At the time even though I exposed a full set of
acceleration hooks I only got to accelerate the software cursor.

Thanks to advice I got here I isolated the problem to the server not migrating
almost any pixmap to my offscreen memory. When I chnaged the migration policy
to "always" i suddenly got a ton of calls which included antialiased fonts (how
could this be BTW - I was told the server doesn't use pixmaps at all for this
and people are working on it now).

My follow up questions are these:
1. Why do I need to chnage the policy from the defualt (i guess in my version I
got with the latest stable Debian, XOrg 7.1.1). I noticed newer releases have a
new "smart" policy by default.
2. Can EXA expose scaling operation to hardware?

Thanks, s