855 GME in Dell 700m

Andrew J. Barr andrew.james.barr at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 17:08:15 PDT 2007

On 8/4/07, Leo <sdl.web at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have problems using either i810 or intel driver for Intel 855 GME in a
> Dell 700m Laptop.
>
> 1. Intel driver
>
>    When using Intel driver, my Fedora 7 freezes as soon as the system
>    boots up to the GDM login screen.
>

> 2. With i810 driver, the screen is complete blank when waking up from
>    suspend-to-ram.

These problems probably don't share a common cause. The suspend-to-RAM
issue can have multiple causes--most of which are outside the domain
of the display driver. Look on the Fedora wiki or use Google for
information on fixing video problems on resume from S3.

Likewise, the freeze can be caused by many things. First, I would
check and see if there is network access to the machine (e.g. SSH). If
so, get in there and do some diagnostics--see what's in 'dmesg',
Xorg.0.log, and you could also attach a debugger to the Xorg server
process and see where it's stuck at. You'd need the debuginfo packages
for that to provide useful information.

> Ideas?
>
> HTH,
> --
> Leo <sdl.web AT gmail.com>                         (GPG Key: 9283AA3F)

Andrew Barr

We matter more than pounds and pence,
your economic theory makes no sense...