kdrive neomagic driver is GPL licensed?

mcnichol at austin.ibm.com mcnichol at austin.ibm.com
Mon Apr 30 20:49:00 PDT 2007

> From: Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org>
>
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 05:18:16PM -0500, mcnichol at austin.ibm.com wrote:
> > Also, some of the old I2C code looks like it could have
> > been lifted from the Linux kernel.
>
> Do you have a source for this?

The following comment caught my attention:

/*
 * Copyright (C) 1998 Itai Nahshon, Michael Schimek
 *
 * The original code was derived from and inspired by
 * the I2C driver from the Linux kernel.
 *      (c) 1998 Gerd Knorr <kraxel at cs.tu-berlin.de>
 */

It shows up in 2 files:
X11R7.1/xorg-server-1.1.1/hw/xfree86/i2c/xf86i2c.c
X11R7.1/xorg-server-1.1.1/hw/xfree86/i2c/xf86i2cmodule.c

This may be ok, but I thought it worth looking into.
I managed to get in touch with Michael, and he verified that
none of his contributions were derived from Linux.
I haven't been able to contact Itai or Gerd.

Dan