X.Org Mailing List Consolidation

Egbert Eich eich at suse.de
Sat Apr 28 21:46:44 PDT 2007

Daniel Stone writes:
 > Hi,
 > I fully agree with what you've said, but a couple of notes:
 >
 > On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 09:06:43PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
 > > xorg-test@: list of the testing working group: low volume but group is still
 > > 	    active. KEEP
 >
 > Is there any reason this can't be done on xorg@?

I don't know. Should talk to Stuart Anderson.
I assume this is a volume issue. On the other hand most of
these 'special purpose' mailing lists have not really worked
out.
And from my experience (which goes back to the old XFree86
days) we always ended up remerging people with the main list.

Not even support lists for users did the job: at the end of
the day noone with expertise was there to help out and
users were babbling to each other.

 > > xorg-test-commit@: commit messages to xorg-test cvs go here. KEEP
 >
 > Likewise, xorg-commit@?

Yeah.

 > > x-packagers@: no traffic but some misguided messages: DEPRECATE (?)
 >
 > Julien Cristau wants to revive it: keep for now.
 >
 > > xlibs-commit@: used for xkeyboard-config commits. KEEP
 >
 > Or we could rename the list.

Yeah, that's probably what should happen.

 > > Oddly it is not possible to the list administrator interface,
 > > but maybe the main mailman interface offers this.
 >
 > You can just delete the list, and the archives won't get destroyed.

Cool!
However I can't delete the lists. Someone with the divine powers
of a mailman admin would have to. Oddly not even the list adminds
can.  -> daniels? ;)

 > This mail shows why I'm really not keen on creating new lists.

Yup! Some of those lists were created with high expectations.
Never worked out.

Cheers,
	Egbert.