Maintainership for the abandoned acecad driver

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Apr 24 17:00:17 PDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 01:18:53AM +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 April 2007 00:44, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > In this case, please feel free to submit individual patches (the more
> > granular the better) to this list[0], or attach them to Bugzilla.  I
> > can review them (not necessarily immediately, but I will feel very
> > bad about it until I do), and commit them for you.
>
> I'm trying to keep the patches as fine-grained as possible, adding tags
> along the way. I've also upped the acecad driver version, to 1.1.1 and then
> to 1.1.2, so I'll send the mail in two batches (one from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1,
> which just fixes the problems with the 2.6.x kernels, and one from 1.1.1 to
> 1.1.2 which includes an initial implementation of automatic device
> detection).

Awesome.  How is the automatic device detection done, though?  I'd like
to avoid a repeat of the evdev disaster ...

> If I'm going to get the account, it's probably better if I just push the
> changes after you've reviewed them, so that tags and branches are carried
> forth.

Right, that's fine.  But if they're posted in fine-grained patch form
for review, this is much easier than two or three individual patches.

> > [0]: The accepted form is something like this:
> >     [blah]
> >
> >     This will generate n+1 mails to xorg@, one per patch, and an overall
> >     summary mail that you send first, and makes reviewing much easier.
>
> Reading the man page for git-send-email I notice that there's a --compose
> option that seems to automatize the creation of the "0th" message. I'll
> give it a try :)

Right, it could probably be optimised by making git-format-patch dump
into a directory and using --compose with the directory for
git-send-email.  The manpage is a bit confusing about the
--compose/--in-reply-to interactions, but hopefully it'll DTRT.

Cheers,
Daniel