X server time performance

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Tue Apr 24 15:56:33 PDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:29:38 +0200 (CEST) Rachid KHAZAZ <rachiddelta at yahoo.fr>
babbled:

> Hi all,
> I have to measure the time performance of the X server by measuring time
>
> 1. The refresh time for cursor redisplay after movement.
> 2. The time between the end of a scroll, size, move action, and the full
> re-display of the involved window.
>
> Does any one have an idea about how to measure these times?
> Thank you in advance.
> Rachid

it can't be done from a client-perspective. 1. can be done within the xserver.
2 can't be done without heavily hacking toolkits and apps - and even then is
not reliable (re-display of WHAT content? an xterm will redisplay MUCH faster
than firefox will a complex web page in these condition).

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com
裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)