xf86-intel-i810 2.0.0 rotation problems

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 09:52:51 PDT 2007

First. What do I need to write in the xorg config file to force the
driver to rotate
the screen on startup of Xorg? The old Option Rotate is not honored any
more.
Is it only possible to rotate using xrandr now?

Rotated performance problems.

System 1 HP 7600U:
kernel 2.6.20
[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20060119 on minor 0
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
i945

System 2 HP 7700U
kernel 2.6.20
[drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20060119 on minor 0
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz
i965

I'm using 1140x900 at 60 mode.

In landscape my test work load (xine, 2 mozilla, 2 text scrollers, 1
image viewer)
takes 10% of the CPU time.

In portrait the xorg process is using 99% on its own and xine movie
playback
is obviously very slow.

The git version of the modesetting driver from 26-Sep-2006 worked very well
in portrait mode, taking 30% CPU on my test work load.

Why has the performance regressed?
Do I need a newer kernel drm module?
Is my configuration wrong?

Barry