[RFC] Input design

James Cloos cloos+pdx-xorg at jhcloos.com
Sat Apr 21 05:53:32 PDT 2007

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> writes: "Nicolas"
>>>>> == Nicolas \"Ikke\" Trangez <eikke at eikke.com> writes:

JimC> An option for using HAL is ok.  But the server must not rely on it.

Daniel> Sure.  As I said before, it will build and run just fine without
Daniel> it, but you're going to have to feed in the input devices
Daniel> manually, as you do now.

OK. But, ...

Nicolas> I still think allowing something similar to the current DBus
Nicolas> interface should be possible too, as I think on some platforms/
Nicolas> in some environments being able to add devices to the server
Nicolas> from client space should be possible.

If this means that client apps (or other dbus clients?) would be able to
instruct the server to add or remove devices, then that sounds like the
optimal solution for non-hal systems.

Specifically, I'd like to be able to specify some devices in xorg.conf
and still hotplug more, if required.  Absent hal, it is, I think, OK to
require another app to let the server know about a new device, what kind
of device it is, and what driver and driver options it should use.

Eg, something akin to xset(1x).

-JimC