Can resize, can't pan [Was: intel/xrandr1.2: cannot resize for larger external monitor]

Drew Parsons dparsons at debian.org
Wed Apr 18 20:10:54 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 19:46 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 12:13 +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
>
> > What I'm still not getting is Panning.  The full 1900x1200 now appears
> > on the external monitor while the laptop LVDS only shows the upper
> > 1024x768 corner.  I understood that moving the mouse against the edge of
> > the smaller screen is suppose to cause panning within the extent of the
> > full 1900x1200, but that isn't happening.  The LVDS edges are fixed.
>
> Yup. Panning is no longer supported automatically by the server. It's
> entirely possible to support panning by an external application as the
> position of the CRTC within the screen is under software control.
>
> Aaron Platner suggested that we add a 'panning rectangle' to the RandR
> extension to support panning the display. I'm not convinced as panning
> policy should be controlled by the window manager which knows about
> keyboard focus and the like.

Ah OK.  That would mean it would need to be implemented by metacity, for
instance, wouldn't it? (I understand metacity is still Gnome's default
window manager).  Seems to be some passing references to that on the
interweb, but nothing concrete. I have a suspicion it might be hidden
away under Assistive Technologies (ATV).

Drew