Mesa with dri on intel - what's going on ?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Apr 18 01:49:47 PDT 2007

Pavel Troller wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Try to use the option Legacy3d on xorg conf, on the intel device section...
> I did it.
> - When it is set to True, it works as without it
> - When it is set to False, the performance is higher (glxgears with default
> window size runs at about 1350 fps with Legacy3D and about 1750 without it),
> but without Legacy3D the system becomes very unstable - a bit of playing with
> OpenGL and a hard system freeze is almost sure. Of course nothing is logged -
> it's really a HARD freeze.
>> What driver are you using now, I think i915tex.... I'm right?
> I think too, but I don't know for sure. I don't specify it in any config
> file, it selects the driver automatically. I have both the drivers in mesa
> driver directory:
> root at arcus:/opt64/mesa/lib/X11/modules/dri# l
> total 31276
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2709725 Apr 16 05:08 i915_dri.so
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2714448 Apr 16 05:08 i915tex_dri.so

If I understand it correctly the config option you are looking for /is/
Legacy3D.... Set to true and it uses i915_dri.so and set it to fall and
it uses the (newer) i915tex_dri.so.

You can confirm which is in use by doing something like:
[colin at jimmy ~]$ lsof | grep i915
beryl     6145 colin  mem       REG              254,0  2454312  385027
/usr/lib64/dri/i915_dri.so

Someone correct me if I'm talking mince.

Col.