Mini-Compiz on Miniature Linux/OpenGL (embedded 3D windowsystem)

ZeAtShuttle zelco at xtra.co.nz
Wed Apr 18 00:07:59 PDT 2007

just dont understand this comment about scitech:
>"They went out of business or at least the graphics business..."
Is it not the whole point of Open Source  that we do not depend on some
company being or not in business, they left us source code, its GPL

>"They weren't open source.. you can't get the driver source code.."
>"They weren't open source..",
i dont understand, by 'open source' i mean GPL,  what do you men by 'open source'? and 'weren't'?

its true, they were not GPL, but they ARE now, i just dont see a problem if something was not GPL in the past?

by 'they' i mean Scitech SNAP/MGL drivers

in previous post someone mentioned:
> " I downloaded a few files from  http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/devel/
but it seems they don't release any source for the card drivers"

what do you guys mean when you say 'driver source code' or 'card drivers'?

i would say - YES, 'driver source code' or graphic 'card drivers',
yes, thats exactly what SNAP/MGL is - collection of drivers - little programs to control your hardware -  ...you download it as *source code*, compile it and it becoms binary file, binary opengl driver is 800kb, single file!

are you saying there is some "card driver" some *part* of the SNAP/MGL *source code* that actually is not  *source code*, but binary file hiden somewhere in the source code and merged to driver file at compile time?