Selecting External Monitor with xf86-video-intel-1.9.94

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Tue Apr 17 08:38:51 PDT 2007

On Apr 16, 07 10:52:41 -0500, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 13:18 -0400, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
>
> > Can I force the VGA output from xorg.conf?
>
> The current code only enables outputs at startup if they are connected
> to a monitor. I meant to change this some time ago so that you could
> force an output to be enabled even when no monitor was connected, but
> forgot. Thanks for the reminder. I've just changed the code so that
>
>    Option "enable" "true"
>
> will force the output to be enabled, even in the absence of a monitor
> connection. Conversely:
>
>    Option "disable" "true"
>
> will force the output to be disabled, even if a monitor is detected.

Just for information: openSUSE 10.3 will use a different solution, by
configuring the external monitor during startup on the fly with xrandr.
That involves setting a mode, which can be configured by
/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager:DISPLAYMANAGER_RANDR_MODE_* variables.

This is more flexible, and ATM I don't see how you can configure a mode
for a monitor that is not attached yet in the configuration file. Or
will the Modes section be used if the monitor is "enable"d?

CU

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __