Selecting External Monitor with xf86-video-intel-1.9.94

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Apr 16 08:52:41 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 13:18 -0400, Ken Mandelberg wrote:

> Can I force the VGA output from xorg.conf?

The current code only enables outputs at startup if they are connected
to a monitor. I meant to change this some time ago so that you could
force an output to be enabled even when no monitor was connected, but
forgot. Thanks for the reminder. I've just changed the code so that

   Option "enable" "true"

will force the output to be enabled, even in the absence of a monitor
connection. Conversely:

   Option "disable" "true"

will force the output to be disabled, even if a monitor is detected.

The older server will re-detect monitors each time you query the mode
list with xrandr, and enable them when the size is changed.

> Is there a client that can run against the 7.2 server and use its
> standard RANDR extension to do the selection?

Yes, the existing xrandr client should be able to enable the VGA output,
however, it will only do so when you *change* the size, not when you
respecify the current size. That's a limitation of the 1.2 X server
included with Xorg 7.2.

Moving to the new server will, of course, make all of these operations
available explicitly to applications; you might consider doing that if
you intend to vary the configuration of your server on a regular basis.

keith.packard at intel.com