xf86-video-intel: XV using the wrong pipe

JM Ibanez jm at orangeandbronze.com
Fri Apr 13 09:45:02 PDT 2007

Alan Hourihane <alanh at fairlite.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 22:31 +0800, JM Ibanez wrote:
>> Alan Hourihane <alanh at fairlite.demon.co.uk> writes:

>> > That's actually a feature of the chip. It can't display the overlay to
>> > both pipes at the same time.
>> >
>> > If you run cloned on the same pipe, then it works, but there's the
>> > restriction that the same resolution & refresh rate must be compatible
>> > with both output devices.
>>
>> It's the *same* resolution and *same* refresh rate.
>>
>> And, it gets even more interesting.
>>
>> Without any external display plugged in, nothing comes out when playing
>> movies on the local display; *however*, when the external display is
>> plugged in and is made a clone, output shows on the external display.
>>
>> It's a bug, I tell you. :)
>
> I bet you've got the option "Clone" in your xorg.conf ??

Nope. See my xorg.conf, attached.

> If so, it's not a bug, it's the feature I describe. You need to do
> this..
>
> Option "MonitorLayout" "NONE,CRT+LFP"
>
> to get true cloned on a single pipe. And make sure you remove the Clone
> option.

I'm using XRandR 1.2 to achieve cloning, so I can't say whether or not
it's doing what 'Option "Clone"' did in the pre-modesetting driver.

[snip]

> That may well be a bug, it should be flipping the output pipe for Xv
> when the video window moves.

Exactly. In my case, it seems that Git HEAD is driving Xv only on one
pipe, regardless of where the overlay is really.

>> > The alternative is to use textured overlay which will work either way.
>>
>> How do you enable that on the i855GM? (considering also that I have DRI
>> disabled due to my virtual screen size being larger than 2048)
>
> You need to use the latest 1.9.94 driver.

I'm on Git HEAD, as mentioned in my first post.

--
JM Ibanez
Software Architect

jm at orangeandbronze.com