libX11 and Xau functions

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Apr 12 23:30:33 PDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 08:03:19AM +0200, Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> Matthieu Herrb wrote:
> > In the old monolithic days, libX11 used to include a subset of libXau
> > and libXdmcp, wich made it more or less self-contained.
> > In the modularization process these parts where dropped (without
> > changing the library's major revision). This is causing minor but
> > annoying troubles with some legacy applications that don't use
> > pkg-config to find out which libs to link to X applications.
> >
> > Was this change  intentional, or is it just an oversight that should be
> > fixed?
>
> No answer on that. Let me assume it's a bug then. Is it ok to add those
> functions back to libX11 ?

Previously, these were linked statically (i.e. every copy of libX11.so
had copies of libXau.a and libXdmcp.a embedded).  They're now linked
dynamically:
daniels at endtroducing:~/Desktop% ldd /usr/lib/libX11.so.6
        libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb7e36000)
        libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb7e31000)
        [...]

Is there a problem?

I'd obviously prefer if you didn't re-add them as static linkage, given
that it would make security updates to libXau and libXdmcp very
difficult to make.

Cheers,
Daniel