Is xgl considered dead?

Solerman Kaplon solerman at wonder.com.br
Thu Apr 12 05:08:27 PDT 2007

Hanno Böck escreveu:
> I wanted to raise up this question because I recently got a request if we plan
> to add xgl to gentoo.

I don't know anything about the development state, but the user side of
things is pretty good at the moment. I've been running it for a long
time as my primary desktop and didn't got any issues AFAICS. You need a
second server to run heavy OpenGL applications (eg: Oblivion), but even
if that works in AIGLX, it ain't going to be fast enough. Last time I
tried with Enemy Territory it got plenty of artifacts everywhere and the
performance got halved. Still better than the 2-10fps range of XGL.
OpenGL through wine bails out complaining about not being able to select
a GL context and java GL pipeline complain about missing extensions
(this may be sightly outdated, but it is Java 6). I should try again
with the new advancements regarding disabling indirect rendering for
fullscreen applications, last time I tried it got weird buffering issues
with video playback

Solerman